Altogether 132 students of the Russian School-3 were sent to hospital after the first symptoms of food poisoning were detected on January 28. Seven of the sick children were treated in the intensive care unit. Two are still there while 126 are being treated in other departments. Most of the sick children were 7th-11th graders.
Food served by the school cafeteria is being blamed. Samples of 49 items used to prepare the food on January 27 and 28 have been sent for analysis. Cafeteria staff said they bought everything at Bars Market.
The Metropolitan Emergency Commission called an urgent meeting at Friday-Saturday midnight which was attended by experts of
meetings over the weekend. A working group was established by the Metropolitan Professional Monitoring Department and Metropolitan Health Department to deal with the situation. Mayor G.Munkhbayar received a report from it and asked officials to keep in constant touch with parents, ensure full treatment for every student and to sterilize the kitchen.
Director of the National Infectious Disease Study Center D.Nyamkhuu said 14 doctors were treating the students, whose main complaints were high fever, headaches, vomiting and diarrhea.
The principal of the school, J.Soronzon, said the school took urgent measures after four children had not come to school on Friday. “We suspect there was something wrong with the mayonnaise. We don’t buy anything that does not carry a health certificates,” she said, and added that the teachers responsible for the kitchen will not be given the extra money they get for the work, which will instead be spent on the treatment of the children.